If there’s one thing I’m very very bad at it’s mornings.
I have great visions of my mornings when I’m getting ready for bed. I want to spend them drinking coffee (with cinnamon – this is a newly discovered Favourite Thing of mine) and writing and stretching and making my bed. I want to go to the gym and drink green smoothies and answer emails. I want to craft the perfect outfit and curl my hair and do my makeup… basically I want to do whatever it is that perfect, pretty, ambitious girls do with their mornings. Maybe I could even read one of those million e-newsletters I seem to get every day!
I just want to hustle like we talked about, alright?
So if I’m so bad at mornings then why am I writing this blog post?
So glad you asked.
I’m ready to switch things up! This is certainly not the first time I’ve said this, and it probably won’t be the last… but I can’t be the only one who regularly has to kick myself in the ass and get my life back together, right? Here I am… kicking myself in the ass. Establishing a morning routine that I can hopefully stick to for a while. Habits take time to form, and it’s hard to make a million changes all at once, so for now here are five things I’m adding to my morning routine.
- brush my teeth. I’m tired of popping gum before class because I ran out the door in such a hurry that I couldn’t even properly brush my teeth!
- stretch. I used to make a point of stretching every morning, but since I’ve moved and started school I’ve let it completely fall by the wayside.
- eat breakfast. I know, I know… most important meal of the day. Got it! It’s hard sometimes, okay?
- make my bed. Making the bed makes my whole room feel infinitely nicer and it takes all of 30 seconds. Why do I never do this?
- BLOG! I might not have time to write up a full post every morning, but I’d definitely like to set aside some time in my day to start a few drafts, and to catch up on other people’s blogs too! (speaking of which: help! who should I follow? Suggestions plz.)
Another thing I’ve started doing recently is writing a to-do list every morning. I have a little notebook that I keep by my bed and I just jot down a few things that I want to accomplish for the day. It’s been really helpful, actually. And it’s a great excuse to stay under the covers for an extra five minutes!
I don’t know if I can make time for all of these things. The snooze (I’ve never had to type that word before and it looks super weird… snooze) button is just so tempting! But rushing out the door is getting super old, and I feel like the morning sets the tone for your whole day. Right?
What’s your morning routine? And someone please tell me how I can drag my ass out of bed in the morning… is there a secret?
Okay, gotta get out of bed now so I can get ready for work… It’s 7:35pm – who am I why do I do this? I just love my bed so much.
See you all tomorrow – happy friday! I, for one, cannot wait to sleep in…
PS, the routine is king is a reference to the YA novel Mosquitoland. I tried to find the exact quote again while I was writing this post but I was unsuccessful… in any case, this book is fantastic and I would definitely recommend it.